<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Big Brother 

I once watched one of those nightly episodes.
It ended with a row in the main room, a cacophony of noise. The noise eventually dies down and in turn everyone makes a measured closing argument, succinctly summing up their point of view, yet hinting towards empathy with those they'd been arguing most vociferously against.

It was then I was made aware of someone whistling 'ten green bottles' in the back of the soundtrack, and I wondered if this hadn't been there throughout the episode.

The talking stopped and the camera showed every one's face in turn. All were seemingly deep in contemplation, trying to make pull some meaning from the tune, as was I.

The song obviously eluded to the format of the show and their own place within it, I wondered if this was what troubled them. But there was more, the whistling tinged with a deeper sadness, the falling bottles was the inevitable death of everyone they knew and all they loved, their own mortality falling with the last green bottle.

The whistling slows for the final bars.. then silence, a perfectly timed pause in which I think I can hear God sigh, before the familiar techno beat of the theme tune fades in.

Poor fuckers, I thought.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

More blogs about travel.
Technorati Blog Finder